A new best song award will be presented at the Brits, Radio 2 has announced. The nominees were unveiled on 3 January 2005. All of them are British and performed since 1977. Five will be selected and named at the Brits nominations on 10 January and the winner at the awards on 10 February.
The award has been introduced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Brit awards.
Listeners to BBC’s Radio 2’s Ken Bruce show will be able to hear the top five songs between Monday 17 January and Friday 21 January.
Voting will be open via the internet, text and telephone from 21-30 January to decide on the best song.
The selected songs are:
1. Heroes by David Bowie
2. We Are The Champions by Queen
3. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
4. Night Fever by Bee Gees
5. London Calling by The Clash
6. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
7. That’s Entertainment by The Jam
8. I Don’t Want To Talk About It by Rod Stewart
9. Look of Love by ABC
10. Golden Brown by The Stranglers
11. True by Spandau Ballet
12. Careless Whisper by George Michael
13. Holding Back The Years by Simply Red
14. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
15. Sacrifice by Elton John
16. Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack
17. Why by Annie Lennox
18. Fields of Gold by Sting
19. Kiss From A Rose by Seal
20. Wonderwall by Oasis
21. Angels by Robbie Williams
22. Yellow by Coldplay
23. Babylon by David Gray
24. Leave Right Now by Will Young
25. Dry Your Eyes by The Streets